Parapapapa… I’m loving this vegan version of the infamous “Mc Nuggets” made out of chickpeas! Certainly one “Happy Meal” you must try!
his recipe has been in the back burner for months now since I kept trying to perfect the texture of these babies. I finally feel confident enough to share it with you guys! Please note there are 2 ways to do this, baked or fried. In my preference, frying the nuggets will give them the most authentic flavor but baked is always a better option.
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- a hint of paprika
- 1/4 of onion powder
- 1/3 of gluten free panko or gluten free flour (seasoned salt and pepper to taste) for coating
- If BAKING pre-heat oven to 350F if FRYING heat oil to 350F.
- Pour the drained chickpeas into a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- Then add the seasoning. Process a few more seconds. Everything will be well mixed and chunky texture.
- Scoop up teaspoon sized globs and roll them into balls then carefully smash them into nugget shapes.
- Pour bread crumbs or flour into a bowl and coat each nugget.
- If BAKING: Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay each nugget on the parchment but don’t let them touch. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 more.
- If you are FRYING, once the oil is heated carefully add the coated chickpea nuggets and wait until they are turning golden. BE CAREFUL not to overheat the oil or leave them too long that they will turn dark. Once they start turning golden, they will also have a great flakey, “Mc Nugget” texture! 8.Allow nuggets to cool before eating.